Wednesday, November 14, 2012

His and Hers Dinners

Monday night Ross and I made Mexican Lasagna for dinner. This is a recipe we had on file from Ross' mom and discovered it a few months ago while looking through our recipe box for something new to make for dinner. We thought it sounded good so gave it a try and loved it. It's layered like lasagna, but made with a Mexican flare instead of Italian. I don't have the recipe with me to post, but it's basically a layer of chips, then hamburger meat mixed with tomato sauce, then a layer of a cottage cheese mixture, cheese, and then you start layering all over again until you run out of room and ingredients.

You'll notice in my picture below from our Monday night Mexican Lasagna that we have two separate dishes. These dishes are not different meals, but rather the same meal, just modified a bit to fit our specific tastes. My version, the smaller dish, simply has chips, hamburger, cheese, olives, and a little bit of salsa. Ross' version, the bigger dish, has everything exactly as the recipe called for - cottage cheese, chili peppers, and I'm sure some added hot sauce because Ross L-O-V-E-S hot sauce! 

When we made the meal before we put it in one pan and just basically drew a line down the middle separating "his" side from "her" side. It worked well, but this week I got the idea to use two different baking dishes and that worked so much better! Now I didn't have any of the cottage cheese mixture running over onto my side!

This isn't the first time we've made separate dishes of the same meal. I do not like beans and Ross does not like rice, as you can read about here, so when we eat out at a Mexican restaurant that has a side of beans and rice, he gets two beans and I get two rice! When I make chili we have two pots - one with beans and one without. Our homemade pizza is divided into two sections - one with mushrooms, one without. I really do wish we both liked the same foods, especially the little add-ons like mushrooms, beans, chili peppers, etc. In fact a friend of mine recently said to me, "Libby, you just need to start liking beans." I agreed with her 100%, but for now I'm so glad that Ross and I have found a way to compromise on our meals. :)



No comments: