Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Spaceship House

Last weekend Ross and I took a trip to Omaha to visit family and go to the zoo. I fell asleep for a little bit but was excited to wake up and realize I didn't miss seeing this:  


It's a house on the hillside off of I-29 near the Missouri/Iowa border. But it's not just any house, it's the Spaceship house! When we were little, our summer break usually consisted of spending one week each summer in Omaha visiting both of my grandparents and aunt and uncle. My mom, sister, and I would make the L-O-N-G car ride up to Omaha and always looked forward to seeing this house. It was so neat to us and also meant that Omaha was only about 1 1/2 hours away. (At that time the speed limit was only 55mph, not 70mph like it is today. A trip to Omaha, including stops, would average about 8 hours. Today it takes us about 6 hours.)

We called this the Spaceship house because it totally looked like a spaceship to us! To this day, 30 years later, I still look forward to seeing this house while traveling to Omaha. And someday soon, I can share the joy with my kids!

No comments: