Thursday, November 6, 2014

Lucy Language

Lucy has really started talking a lot over the last month and it's so much fun! Some of her words are said very clearly, but others are very hard to understand. Sometimes I feel so bad because I know she's saying something "important" to her, but I have no clue what it is! In fact, there's one word that Ross and I cannot figure out at all. It sounds like "bucktooth" but we know it's not that and have gone through several ideas of what it could be but can't figure it out.

It is so cute when she talks. Often times, she will walk up to us and spew off whatever she's saying and it's like she is really telling a story to us, but in Lucy Language. We just reply and pretend like we know what she's talking about. I've been around lots of my friends' kids when they were at this beginning to talk stage and I could never make out what they were saying, but the kids' parents didn't miss a beat and could tell you exactly what their kids were saying. I somewhat marveled at this wondering how they could figure it out.

Now, though, I'm at that stage and can tell you (probably 95% of the time) what Lucy is saying, even if it doesn't exactly sound like it should. When you're around her all day, everyday, you just learn her and her words. I was telling a friend this story the other day and how it's fun to now understand her when others can't. She agreed and said it's neat, almost like we have our own little way of communicating that no one else has with her. I've thought about that so much and love this idea! It's like we're in our own little secret club with our own secret language!

No comments: