Monday, November 10, 2014

She's Advanced

At a recent MOPS meeting, I was talking with some of the ladies about the developmental things our kids are doing now. A few of us have kids roughly the same age (18-24 months) and one of the topics we discussed was talking. One lady was asking how much our kids were talking because she was concerned that her son wasn't saying very much right now. One lady said that her girl talks a lot and followed that statement up with, "but she's advanced for her age."

I laughed to myself when I heard "she's advanced" and thought about it for the rest of the day. I was in no way making fun of her and she did not say it in a bragging way at all. She was just simply stating a fact about her daughter. It made me laugh because I wondered how many of us parents think our kids are "advanced," when in reality, they are doing exactly what they should (and nothing more) for their particular age. This lady's child very well could be advanced for her age, but I'd venture to guess there's a bit of bias in that statement!

I know I'd like to think Lucy is advanced for her age by all of the words she says, what she understands, the activities she does, can walk up and down the stairs so well, and so many other talents of hers. However, I don't want to overlook the fact that she's maybe just right-on, developmentally, where she should be for 18 months old. I'm sure, though, that my Mom would completely disagree with me. I know she thinks Lucy is "advanced." :)

No comments: