Friday, June 5, 2015

Learning To Roll With It

If there's one lesson I've learned my first 2 years of parenthood it's this:  Whatever happens, you just need to roll with it. Life throws things at us and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it but deal with it and move on. Here are some examples of this:

My First Mother's Day
Just two weeks into parenthood I was very excited to celebrate Mother's Day 2013, but it just didn't happen as I'd planned! I was extremely tired and didn't even go to church because Lucy woke up the night before around 3am and I fed her (she was only 2 weeks old at the time) and she did not go back to sleep until about 9am the next morning. NO. JOKE! She spent that whole time crying and screaming at us. We had no idea what to do so called the overnight nurse line from her doctor's office. We ended up taking Lucy to the doctor that morning, my first Mother's Day, only to have her fall asleep right after we made the doctor's appointment! The doctor suggested Lucy had reflux and this was causing all the screaming. (Side note, she did have reflux and we started her on Zantac that week after her two-week checkup.) Lucy was fine the rest of the day and we went out to my parent's house for Mother's Day to take a nap while they took care of Lucy!

Lucy's First Easter in 2014
Easter 2014 did not happen for us as I'd planned on it happening. We spent the evening before Easter Sunday at urgent care with Lucy. She was not feeling well and had had an ear infection the previous week. She had also been around my Mom the day before and my Mom woke up sick that Saturday morning. We were afraid her ear was still bothering her or she had picked up what my Mom had, so decided to have it checked out.

We spent about four hours at urgent care just to be told nothing was wrong. We were glad nothing was wrong, but kind of frustrated at our wasted time. Well, very early the next morning, Easter Sunday morning, I woke up not feeling well and made my first of several trips to the bathroom to throw up. I was so sick!

Needless to say, we did not make it to church for Easter Sunday. I was so bummed about this! Easter is my favorite holiday and I was so looking forward to celebrating it. I also had a very pretty dress for Lucy to wear for her first Easter and was upset that she wouldn't get to go to church. I'm so thankful for Ross. He took care of me and Lucy that day. I only saw Lucy a few times as I was too sick to get out of bed and I wanted to stay away from her so she didn't get what I had.

Life With Molly
I'll be the first to admit that life with two kids, one kid who is just two years old and one kid who is three months old at the time of this writing, has been hard! The hardest part is probably learning how to balance my time between Lucy and Molly, and getting used to having a baby around. I got so spoiled with Lucy....she goes to bed easily and stays asleep all night, she can play on her own and doesn't require constant attention, and she can feed herself to name a few things. This is much different than Molly who is 100% dependent upon us for everything. That was hard to get used to again and then trying to figure out who to tend to first when both are crying.

There are several activities I've planned or ideas I've had in my head of how I wanted things to go since Molly was born but they just have not panned out at all. I have had to really roll with things and that has been hard, especially for a planner like me. I know I will have several more opportunities to practice this "rolling skill" I've acquired. I just hope that each time will get easier and easier!

No comments: