Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Party

For the past five years I have hosted a Christmas party for all my friends. And last Saturday Ross and I hosted what is now called the the sixth annual Wiseman Christmas party! This is a party I started in 2005, the first year I lived in my house. It's always a fun night of great food, gag gifts, and games. I have always had 15-20 people at the party - in my little house! I was really looking forward to having it this year in our new house - much more space!

The first two years I had this party I made all of the food - for everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed making everything, and somewhat saw it as my Christmas present to my friends, and as a way to show them how much I appreciate them. But by the third year I was tired of making everything so I provided chili and chicken salad and everyone else brought the sides and desserts. This year we decided on potato soup and pulled pork for the main course.

Each year we have a gag gift exchange/white elephant gifts/dirty Santa ... and I'm sure there are several other names for this version of gift giving. Basically, everyone brings a gag gift and we go around taking turns opening gifts. Once you've opened your gift, you can choose to keep it or steal someone else's gift. We have had a great time with this game over the years. In fact, there is even one gift that keeps coming back each year: The Christmas Vest of Shame! This lovely, glittery vest first made an appearance in 2005 and has made it back every year since!

This party was especially fun and memorable because one of my very good friends, Daryl, proposed to his girlfriend, Angela, right as the party got started!! Daryl called me Thursday afternoon (the party was Saturday, in just 2 days!) to tell me he was going to do this and needed to talk through a few things with Ross and me. He came over Friday afternoon to square everything away and gave us final instructions.

Daryl certainly had his stuff together! He had everything planned out and written out, and had even invited his parents and brother, and Angela's parents and four best friends over to be a part of it. Here's how it went down:

The party was to start at 6:30pm, so Daryl had the 12 "extras" arrive at our house at 6pm to hide upstairs in one of our spare bedrooms. (They parked down the street away from our house so they cars wouldn't look like they were party of our party.) The rest of our friends started arriving at 6:30 and no one knew (well except for a few people that Daryl had let in on the plan) what was about to happen!

A little before 7, everyone had arrived so Ross and I gathered everyone together to pray. After Ross prayed he asked Daryl if there was anything he would like to add. Daryl said yes, there is. He then took Angela into the living/dining room and had everyone else follow. He started his speech to Angela and then had the others hiding upstairs come down to witness the proposal. It was so nice and worked out just perfectly for them! We were able to snap lots of picture and even video-taped the whole thing! Congratulations, to the future Mr. and Mrs. Daryl Brown!


This was the only way to make sure Ross and I were in one of the group pictures!


Starting his proposal with EVERYONE in the room!

Girl picture!

Angela won the Christmas Vest of Shame!

No comments: