Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It All Began 2 Years Ago Today

Those of you who know me know how big I am on remembering dates. I can remember things, to the date, that happened years ago, even back in junior high! And today is no exception.

Two years ago today Ross and I started dating! As he put it in "Our Book Of Love" (the book he gave me when he proposed to me), "then one night we had the talk that would change both of our lives forever." Oh how I still remember everything about that night! Here's a little history and how that night happened. Enjoy!

Ross and I met in March 2006 at a singles small group. We became good friends and got along very well. Even though we didn't see each other but a couple of times a month when our group of friends got together, we just always seemed to pick up where we left off and had great chemistry. In the fall of 2008 I started another singles small group that met at my house on Monday nights. The second week we met Ross was the last person to leave. He ended up staying for about an hour and we talked about everything it seemed. Him staying after everyone left became a pattern that I looked forward to each week. But I started wondering why he was staying. Did he just simply enjoy talking with me? Did he think of me as a buddy? Or did he possibly like me, as in more than a friend?

I started thinking about this A LOT, and of course, sought out the professional opinion of my girlfriends to see if they thought he liked me or not. And I went back and forth in my head between liking him and not. I thought we could never work as a couple because he really likes music and going to concerts and that is so not my thing. And I really like working out and running, which is so not his thing.

Well on Sunday, November 23, 2008, I finally decided just exactly what my feelings for Ross were. Our group of friends went to lunch together and during lunch I asked if anyone wanted to come help me put up the Christmas light on my house. Ross said he would so he came over and put a small section up for me - the section that I was most afraid to do because it required getting up on the roof. Now this was a very COLD day and Ross hadn't planned on being outside so he wasn't dressed properly for it. But he helped anyway.

After the light were up, we came inside to warm up. The KC Chiefs football game was on so we turned it on and caught the last quarter of the game. When the game ended I figured Ross would leave. But he didn't. He stayed until about 5pm and we spent the whole time talking - this was about three hours after the lights had been put up! I had the best time and the minute he walked out the door, I was ruined! I knew I liked Ross as more than a friend and I couldn't hardly wait to spend more time with him.

So fast forward to December 8 ... he stayed after our small group meeting to help me set up my high speed Internet. We were in my office to set it up and after it was done we continued talking so we just sat down in the office. For some reason the topic of marriage came up and Ross said "I don't think I'm ever going to get married." This made me so MAD! I thought "then what the heck are you doing here?" I don't remember all of the specifics of our conversation but it led up to Ross asking me what I wanted to know from him and that led to:

Libby: What's going on here?
Ross: Between us?
Libby: Yes, between us.
Ross: Well, we've been spending a lot of time together lately.
Libby: Yes.
Ross: And I've enjoyed it.
Libby: Me, too.

And that led into more conversations about getting together and afraid of ruining our friendship, etc. He did tell me that the first day he met me at small group in 2006 he remembers that I had workout clothes on, glasses on, my hair in a ponytail, and he thought I was kind of cute. He also told me that he was so happy now to tell me that all he wants to do is buy me flowers and take me out on dates!

Oh it was such a fun night. I remember going to bed that night extremely excited and laying in bed thinking "wow, I know who I'm going to marry!"

And the rest, they say, is history!

No comments: