Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

For the past few years some friends of ours have had a Halloween costume party. We have gone and dressed up...or should I say we have gone, I have dressed up, and Ross has been a really good sport to dress up with me. :) Here's our history of Halloween costumes:

2009:  Grapes. This was the easiest and cheapest costume! We bought a package of green balloons and a package of purple balloons, blew them up, pinned them to our shirts, and our costumes were finished. Cost of costume:  $5!



2010:  A bed bug and a bride. Being that 2010 was our wedding year, I couldn't think of anything else to be, and I wanted to wear my wedding dress again, a bride was the costume for me! We had trouble coming up with and idea for Ross, but at the last minute he came up with the idea to be a bed bug. It was a very simple costume. He pinned a black sheet around him, made "antennas" out of aluminum foil, attached them to a headband, and he was a bed bug.
Cost of costume:  $0!


2011:  A hot air balloon and The Price Is Right contestant. I loved, loved, loved our costumes! I found the hot air balloon costume on Pinterst.com, and my sister gave me The Price is Right idea. For the hot air balloon, I took a basket that I already and had cut out the bottom. Luckily it fit perfectly over my hips so it stayed in place and I didn't have to worry about how it would stay up. I filled brown paper bags with stuffing and tied them to the basket with string for sand bags. I bought a 36" balloon and had it filled with helium. I actually got it home and found that it was just too big, so brought it back to the store to have air taken out. I taped ribbon to the balloon to give it some color, and then tied the balloon to the basket with string. I bought aviator glasses at a Halloween costume store to complete the look. The glasses were a bit expensive, but totally worth it!
Cost of costume:  $18 (the glasses were most of this cost)

Ross' The Price is Right contestant costume was pretty easy. I used a piece of foam board and taped green poster board to it using black electrical tape and spelled out the bid number with yellow duct tape. I cut up a wire hanger and wrapped it with black pipe cleaners and electrical tape to make the microphone. I found a template for the name tag online and printed it out. We found that we had to explain what Ross' costume was to a lot of people at the party we went to. This kind of surprised me.
Cost of costume: $8




One of my friends, Natalie, is a SUPERB math teacher. Her costume was X - a variable X, like in algebra. She had several math questions taped to her giant X, all using the variable X. She gave little boxes of Nerds candies to anyone who answered the questions correctly.

 Pam was a 70's chic. Love the wig, Pam!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween! Trick or Treat!
Great costumes! Great blog! Thanx! We have lots of cleverly costumed Trick or Treaters arriving! Dale in his jack-o-lantern costume greets them at the door..........A fun night! Enjoy!
Love you, Aunt Linda and Uncle Dale