Friday, August 16, 2013

One Year Ago Today

I'm a big dates person in that most of the time I can remember what I was doing one year ago today, five years ago today, ten years ago today, etc. I've been able to do this since junior high. Sometimes it's kind of annoying because I remember things I don't want to. Other times, though, it's really fun, like today. One year ago today, August 16, Ross and I found out we were going to have a baby! It has been so much fun to me this week thinking back to this time last year. The few days we spent wondering if the symptoms I was experiencing actually was pregnancy or something else.

I had gone on a "girl-cation" to the beach at Biloxi, MS, with three girlfriends the weekend before and I remember that while sitting on the beach one of my friends asked if we were thinking about having kids. I told her we were and that we were looking forward to it. Little did I know that I was actually pregnant during that conversation!

That week I was really tired, I had to go to the bathroom overnight (which never happened to me), my period was late (which it had been starting a day or two early the previous months), and a few other things that made me think I was pregnant. Ross and I talked about it a lot and we were excited, but a little nervous, too! We wanted to have kids, but neither of us thought it would happen so fast. We really only "tried" (which I hate that expression..trying to get pregnant) for about three months. We both thought it would take a year, just because.

We didn't want to take a bunch of pregnancy tests, so wanted to wait a few days after the signs showed up. We talked about when to take a test and decided to take it Friday morning because the morning is the best time to take the test and that would give more time for my period to start. Well, Thursday afternoon we were texting about it and decided to just take a test that night after work.

I remember it all so well! I got home and went in to talk to Ross in his office. We were both a little nervous, but realized we had to do it sooner or later! I changed my clothes and got the test and started the process in the downstairs bathroom. When I was done I put the stick, face down, in the sink. We were going to let it sit for a few minutes. I remember being so excited and smiling when I put it in the sink because I saw a positive line starting to form! I didn't tell Ross that, just waited until we both looked at it. After waiting a few minutes we looked at the stick and it was POSITIVE! We were pregnant!

We were both so excited, nervous, scared, happy, about every emotion possible probably! I started laughing and I think we both cried a little. Ross was excited but had a very overwhelmed and nervous look on his face! We spent the next hour sitting on the couch just talking about being pregnant. We were both surprised that it happened so fast! We decided to go out to dinner and ended up at Houlihans. During dinner we made plans on how to tell our family and friends. Oh such fun times to think back on! Read more about it and see picture here!

Now it's just amazing to me that one year has passed and we have a 3 1/2 month old beautiful baby girl who we love so much. It's just crazy how many changes can occur in just one year!


















No comments: