Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Mom Is A Real Person

I've realized a lot of things in my short nine months of being a mom. One of them is the fact that my mom is a "real person" and always has been, even when I was growing up. Let me explain........

Ross and I have decided we are going to trade my car in for a minivan. My car is a great car, but we would like a little more space now with having a baby, and planning ahead for another baby or two or three (haha) in the future. We've looked at a few minivans along with some crossover SUVs and have decided it makes the most sense to buy a minivan. Minivans just have more room and we feel like we get more bang for our buck going that route as opposed to an SUV. Although minivans have changed a lot since they first came out and are a little less "minivan looking" and have a lot of nice features, neither one of us are super excited about driving a minivan. I don't know if I can explain just exactly what my hang-up is with having a minivan. I don't think I'm feeling like I'll be uncool driving a minivan because I don't really care about that. I guess it's just that it seems so big to drive. Like I will be little me in the front seat with this big old backend behind me. And I really like my car that I have now. It's funny because I kind of didn't like it when I got it and called it my old lady car. You can read about that here.

But back to the point of this post. I was telling my mom that we decided to go the minivan route and tried to explain why I'm not super excited to drive a minivan. She said she felt the same way when they got a minivan when we were growing up. We were in elementary school when my parents switched from a car to a minivan. I think we had 2 minivans while growing up and they were both Ford Aerostars. Her saying this to me was funny because I don't remember her saying anything about having the van when we were little and at that time I certainly wouldn't have thought about her not liking the van.

It was just a big realization to me that my mom actually is a person! She's experienced the same things I am now experiencing as a mom. She rocked me, fed me, bathed me, and played with me just like I'm doing with Lucy. She got frustrated with me when I wouldn't sleep, just like I do with Lucy. She felt so bad for me when I was sick or hurt myself, just like I do with Lucy. She loved me so much, just like I love Lucy. She wasn't so excited about driving a minivan, just as I'm not!

And there's lots of time when Ross and I make fun of Lucy (not in a mean way, you just have to understand our humor :) ) or we just roll our eyes when we can tell she's throwing a fit about something. My parents probably did the same to me when I was growing up, but I had no clue about it then! It's just funny to me that I'm now a parent. I remember thinking this when I got married - thinking that I don't get married, other people get married! Now I feel like I'm not a parent, other people have kids, not me. :)

1 comment:

Christina said...

I LOVE this post!! It is so true!! :) Our momma's are wonderful people! We wouldn't be who WE are today without THEM!! :):)