Saturday, April 16, 2016

Pig-Themed Baby Shower

One of my very best friends, Pam, is having a baby girl, Elisabeth, in May and I had a baby shower for her. It was such a nice, fun time. It was very small, with just Pam, me, and five of our girlfriends. The seven of us have been friends for a long time and used to get together once a month for girls' night. Girls' night doesn't happen much anymore due to families and busy schedules, so it's so nice when we do have time together.

I had an absolutely wonderful time planning this baby shower! I started thinking about and planning the shower in January after Pam and I decided on its date. Pam is doing a pig theme in her nursery (because she collects pigs and thought it would be cute) so I decided to do a pig theme for the shower. I think a pig theme is so cute and original for a baby nursery.

Pam had a hard time finding baby bedding she liked, but did find some pig material online and bought it to make bedding for her crib. I asked her to send me a picture of the material and I used that for the invitation and decorations. I had the decorations designed on Etsy, using the material as the background. I then took the picture of the material and printed it out on cardstock on my printer and used it to make pig cut-outs using my Silhouette cutting machine. I had such a fun time working on this!

The shower was at 10am, so we were having brunch. I made chicken salad and fruit, and one friend brought mini quiches and coffee cake, and another brought pig cookies. Since there was only going to be 7 people we were able to eat in the dining room and used my china plates. I love using my china! We hardly ever use it, but it sure is nice to have and use when I need it. We then moved over to the living room for a fun game of baby item "The Price Is Right" and opening presents. it was such a nice time!

I used pink scrapbook paper for placemats and gray napkins, along with "real" silverware and fun wine glasses. I loved the table set up. I thought it was a great mix of fancy and casual with the china plates and paper napkins. :) I made a banner that says "Elisabeth Joy" and hung it, along with pink and gray pom-poms, on the curtains as the backdrop for the table. I used the pig material background for the banner. It was so cute!





This was a really good "fruit bruschetta." I cut a French baguette into several slices and buttered each slice and baked in the oven for about 7 minutes. I sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on each slice when they came out of the oven. I made a cream cheese/powdered sugar/cool whip fruit dip and spread on each slice and then topped with a mixture of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries that had been sugared a little bit. This made for such a good fruit dish and made for a pretty display, too.


My friend, Natalie, made these super cute pig cookies! She put such time into them and they turned out great! It's a sugar cookie topped with cake frosting. She cut up strawberry wafers for the ears, chocolate chips for the eyes, and marshmallows and peanut butter chips for the nose. They were so cute and very tasty, too.



I made this pig mobile and am so very proud of it! I used the cut out pigs I made and then used my sewing machine to sew the pigs together in a line. I covered am embroidery hoop with ribbon and then tied the pig lines to the hoop. I made tiny tissue paper pom-poms for the middle of the mobile. I am so proud of it! It turned out so cute and I just loved it. So did everyone else, too. :) 
 




I found this pig at Hobby Lobby and put a foam floral block in it and filled it with carnations for the centerpiece. I think it turned out quite nice!


We played a baby shower version of "The Price Is Right." I know most people, including myself, don't really care for shower games, but this game was definitely a hit. I bought baby items and asked each person to guess the price of each item. Whoever came closest to the actual retail price (total of all items combined) without going over won. Most everyone came within about $5-10 of the actual price. I was quite impressed!


No comments: