Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Silly Me...

Each day Lucy goes to preschool she brings home a folder that has her "work" in it and a behavior chart showing if she earned a green, yellow, or red sticker for the day. She's been at preschool for a little over two months now and has come home with a green sticker each day. We are so proud of her.

One day her teachers sent home a note in her folder. I started to read it and saw the "we just want you to know..." and didn't go any farther because I got sidetracked. After reading those few words, though, I got really excited and proud thinking the rest of it would say something like "...we love having Lucy in class. She is such a joy and so full of life and energy. We just love her."

When I got back to reading the note I quickly realized that was not the case, as you can see from the note below. Instead of gushing with love for Lucy, the teachers were telling me they were having a hard time with Lucy not wanting to do her crafts because she didn't want to get messy...like messy with glue on her fingers. I had so many emotions at one time!

  • Embarrassment for thinking they would send home a note saying how much they loved Lucy.
  • Disappointment because it was not a note like that. 
  • Fear because Lucy got a note saying she wasn't doing something right. 
  • Frustration in trying to figure out how to help Lucy understand it's okay to get messy or dirty. (She is definitely not our "let's get dirty child. She can pick out a tiny spec of dirt on her finger and demand it be cleaned up.) 
  • Sadness because Lucy got a "disciplinary" so-to-say note home.............


I had a good laugh at myself after a few minutes and realized that I need to chill out about this, especially considering she's in her first semester of preschool and has a long, long, long "school life" ahead of her!


No comments: