Monday, October 7, 2013

MOPs

I am now officially a member of MOPS - Mothers of Preschoolers. Taken from their website, MOPS is...

...a grassroots movement that believes moms are world influencers.
 
We also believe that incubating hearts and giving just-because-hugs can change the course of history. That’s why we connect moms all over the world to a community of women, in their own neighborhoods, who meet together to laugh, cry and embrace the journey of motherhood. MOPS groups are rallying women to be more honest, to feel more equipped and to find our identity by journeying along side one another.
 
We are moms, and we believe that better moms make a better world.

My sister was involved with MOPS when her boys were little and I have lots of friends who are involved in it, too. I'd always planned on joining MOPS when I was "eligible" and that happened on April 28 of this year!

There are several groups that meet around Springfield at various churches (you don't have to be a member of that church to attend) and I decided to join the group that meets at Central Assembly of God, next to my old workplace. I could have joined the group where my friends go, but decided it would be good for me to join my own group. You know, forcing me to meet new people and make new friends instead of staying in my own little clique.

So far I've enjoyed it. We meet the first and third Tuesday of each month from 9:30am-11:30am. Childcare is provided and they encourage you to use the childcare in order to have a break from taking care of your kiddos and to enjoy the meeting a little more. Each person is assigned to a table for the entire year (September-May) so you get to know those people on a more personal level.
The meetings are structured (which I really like) with a schedule of brunch/fellowship time, announcements, an activity/video/speaker/something along those lines, and then discussion time before ending promptly at 11:30am. Each table takes a turn providing brunch throughout the year.

It is a really well-run machine. There's a minimal fee each year which covers childcare costs and supplies for any craft activities we might do. This past Tuesday we watched a video about comparing ourselves to other moms and families and then had a discussion about it at our table. It was a really enjoyable morning and I look forward to the next meeting.



1 comment:

Christina said...

I am SO GLAD you started going to a MOPs group! You won't be sorry!! It is a BLESSING to be able to get together with women who are in the same place that you are in life!!! I hope you are totally encouraged by your meetings each time!! :)