Sunday, October 13, 2013

Wedding Showers vs Baby Showers

A few weeks ago I attended two showers on the same day: a wedding shower and a baby shower. They both began at the same time and I wanted to go to both of them so I had to split my time. I went to the wedding shower first and stayed there for a little over an hour and then left to go to the baby shower. Luckily both places were within a mile of each other and both were maybe two miles away from my house so it made it easy to get to each.

The wedding shower was for a girl from our church. She and her fiancé go to our home fellowship group and we have enjoyed getting to know her. The shower was so nice and feminine...each lady at the shower was in a dress or dressy capris. The tables were decorated with pretty tablecloths and candles. The food table looked so inviting and the dessert table, which was full of cupcakes, was so pretty and decorated so nicely. The presents, which came in beautifully designed white bags, were displayed next to the desserts adding to the décor of the room. The room was quiet with light music playing in the background and dim lighting...just a very nice, sophisticated, feminine setting. Chicken salad and a vegetable salad were served for lunch and it was very tasty. After we ate, we were invited to select a cupcake and Ashley began opening her presents. I only saw a few presents opened because I had to leave, but she got some very nice dishes, serving platters, serving bowls, towels, everything you would expect to receive at a wedding shower.

The baby shower was held a tea room located in a large antique flea market in Springfield. When I arrived everyone had just finished their lunch and was starting on dessert. I laughed to myself once I sat down and looked around at the setting - although this baby shower was very nice, it was just SO different from the shower I had just come from! It was a more causal atmosphere, most everyone was in jeans or capris (nice but definitely not fancy), there weren't any decorations except for a few "welcome baby" balloons, and kids. That was probably the biggest difference to me - the kids at the baby shower! There were lots of little kids and babies there and, as you would expect, most were rowdy and loud. Such a different atmosphere than the wedding shower!

It was just funny to me the difference in the two. Both were very nice in their own respect, just completely different. Like two different worlds that day. And some day Ashley, the bride having the wedding shower, will be the mommy-to-be having the baby shower!

No comments: