Sunday, January 20, 2019

How My Mom Worries Have Changed

I have these pictures up in Molly's room below her mirror.



They are pictures I had done at JC Penney's when she was a baby, probably at two, six, and ten months old. For their first year, I took each girl on their monthly birthdays to JCP to have their pictures taken. My Mom did this with us our first year and my sister did it with her kids their first year. I guess I didn't even think twice about not doing it for my kids...it's what my Mom did, so it's what I would do.

Anyway, one day I was looking at these pictures and was filled with memories of having them done each month and all of the thought (and agony?!) I put into deciding what they should wear. Some months were pretty easy. If it was a holiday month like February or December, I knew I'd put them in a holiday-themed outfit. But other "regular" months it sometimes got hard figuring out what to wear. I'd often take pictures of all my options and send them to my Mom and sister asking for their opinion. And then I had the nervousness of getting them to the studio in time and still looking good from when we left our house; hoping and praying they would cooperate during the photo shoot; wanting to buy every single picture because they were so good but new I couldn't....so many different things were involved in these pictures that no one but me will ever know about! It got to be a chore after a while and at times I wish I wouldn't have started doing the pictures each month, but now I certainly am glad I have them!

My whole point of this post, though, is that when I was looking at these pictures I laughed thinking about how my "mom worries" have changed over the years. That first year each month I had this worry of getting everything perfect for their monthly pictures. This turned into worrying about stopping breast feeding. This turned into worrying about potty training. This turned into worrying about moving into a big girl bed. This turned into worrying about going to school.

I know the things to worry about will continue to change as the girls age, and I bet someday I would gladly change the worries that come along with the teenage years for the worries of what to wear for a monthly birthday picture worry. :)

No comments: