Wednesday, October 28, 2020

$2.97 Mums

In the spring we always plant flowers in the flower bed by our front door. We've been doing different flowers there each year because we can't seem to find something that we really like. A few years back we planted mums there, but I got tired of them and did different flowers the last few years. 

This past spring when it came time to plan flowers we found some chrysanthemums at Walmart that we liked, so bought four. All four were just one little flower that each came in about a 3"x3" plastic flower container and each container was only $2.97. They had all bloomed out and two containers were yellow and two were purple. It didn't dawn on me until I was putting them in the ground that the flowers were actually just what I call "mums." When we bought them I read the long name "chrysanthemum" and didn't think about that being the "real" name for mums. I was a bit bummed about this because I know that mums flower in the fall and since these that we bought had already flowered, I figured they would just be green all year long. 

Well, little did I know, I was completely wrong! These very small mums turned into some very LARGE mums and I even had to transplant the two yellow mums into pots to make more room for the purple mums still in the ground. I had no clue that these mums would grow as much as they did and look as pretty as they do! I have loved having them this fall and hope they come back just the same next spring! We definitely got our money's worth from the $11.88 we spent for all four mums!  









No comments: