Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Following Directions.....

The girls have been enrolled in a "kids club" from a local grocery store since they were babies. With the kids club they each received a coupon for a free tub of ice cream and a mini cake from the bakery. They are both really excited when their postcard arrives in the mail and we always cash them in.

This year for Lucy's birthday we went to the grocery store after school one day for her ice cream and cake. When we got home I saw our neighbor outside so stopped to talk to her. We were still in our van and the girls got tired of hearing us talk so decided to get out and go on inside. I knew I'd probably be talking to my neighbor for a while longer and knew I had ice cream in the car that I didn't want to melt. When Molly got out of the van I asked her to take the cake and ice cream in and put the ice cream in the refrigerator that's in the basement. She said okay and took care of it for me. When I came inside the ice cream wasn't on the kitchen counter so I assumed she had taken care of it like I'd asked.

Well, flash forward about a month when I went downstairs one day to put something in the refrigerator downstairs. I was very surprised to open it and find this:


In case you can't tell what it is, it's the ice cream that I'd asked Molly to put in the refrigerator downstairs! This is a side-by-side refrigerator with the freezer on the left and the refrigerator on the right. I didn't think about clarifying with her that it needed to go in the freezer section instead of the refrigerator section! And, as Ross said when I told him this story, "at least you know she can follow directions!" 

So lesson learned. When I need something to go in the freezer, specify that it needs to go in the freezer and do not just say refrigerator! 

No comments: