Friday, May 21, 2010

Garage Sale or Yard Sale?

Today and tomorrow I'm having a garage sale at my house (my house off Linwood street, not my house with Ross in Battlefield :) ). A couple of my girlfriends and I, along with my mom, are hoping to rake in the dough by selling some of our out-dated, unwanted items. I have lots of kitchen gadgets, pots and pans, picture frames, books, sheets, bedding sets, clothes and other miscellaneous items. I think my friends have the same, just add baby/toddler clothes and toys to the mix.

My house is in a prime location for garage sales and this weekend looks to be perfect weather. Hopefully that will bring all the bargain-hunters out, especially since last weekend was a complete washout due to rain. We'll set everything up on my driveway but might need to spill over into my yard a bit.

I've been thinking about the terms "garage sale" and "yard sale" and wondered which term you use when referring to this type of a sale? I've always called it a garage sale but lately this term has been bugging me. I'm not selling my garage and I won't even be using my garage to display any of our items so why call it a garage sale? And on that note, it's funny to me when I'm having a conversation about a garage sale and the person I'm talking to refers to it as a yard sale. We're talking about the same thing but calling it by different names, in the same conversation.

Okay, enough rambling.....I have things to sell!

No comments: