Monday, October 11, 2010

Creativity is Flowing

I'm having a baby shower for one of my very best friends later this month. She is expecting her second baby boy and I am so happy to have a shower for her. It will be nice to bless her with gifts, but probably more fun for me to throw a party! I love planning parties and this will be even more fun as it will be the first party in our new house.

I decided to make the baby shower invitations and did a lot of searching online for ideas. There are some oh so super cute invitations out there and oh how I wish I was a graphic designer - I'd recreate the designs on my own at a fraction of the cost!

But I'm not a designer so I'm forced to go another route: scrapbook paper.

I took a trip to Hobby Lobby and found several different coordinating designs of baby-themed scrapbook paper that I knew would somehow play into my invitations. I started looking online again for ideas, but this time searched for invitation templates or do-it-yourself instructions and came across the cutest idea. It involved a folded invitation covered with scrapbook paper and ribbon, sealed with a diaper pin. This particular invitation seemed pretty easy to make so I decided to go with it.

The card itself was pretty easy - just measure, cut, fold, cover the card with the decorative scrapbook paper, cover with ribbon, and it's ready to go. Pretty easy until the diaper pin. The diaper pin was supposed to attach the flap of the card to the card itself, but I had issues with this. Major issues. I had a very hard time getting the diaper pin through the hole to close it up - I kept mangling up the flap. So I modified the design and instead of closing the invitation with the diaper pin, the diaper pin just hung on the ribbon as a pretty "extra."

I had so much fun putting these together and honestly it was kind of hard mailing them - I wanted to keep them and just look at them over and over!

Here's a link to the instructions and pictures of the invitations!
http://www.do-it-yourself-invitations.com/baby-shower-invitations-diaper-pin.html





No comments: