Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sunshine Run 5K

I am a runner. I've been running for 7+ years now and have completed several 5Ks and 10Ks (3.1 and 6.2 miles), 6 half-marathons (13.1 miles), and 2 full marathons (26.2 miles). All of these runs have been great, but I completed the best run of all last Saturday - the Sunshine Run 5K. The reason you ask?

I ran it with my husband!

Ross likes to workout and bike a little here and there, but he is not a runner. Sometime this summer we were talking about running and I asked him if he'd do a run with me in the fall. He said he'd love to ... okay, it probably wasn't spoken that enthusiastically.

We decided to do the Sunshine Run 5K together. I have done this run myself a few times in the past and found it to be an enjoyable course. It's a fairly flat course that starts and ends at Hammon's Field (where the Springfield Cardinals play baseball.) In fact, home plate actually serves as the finish line so at the end of the race we got to run the perimeter of the baseball field.

As I said, Ross is not a runner, so this was not an easy task for him. He started training for the run in mid-August, running one mile, two-three times a week, slowly working up to three miles the week of the race.

I'm so proud of him! He did a great job, we ran the whole way without stopping to walk, and we finished in 29 minutes, 45 seconds. It was so enjoyable doing something I love to do with my husband. He is so good to me in that respect. He really takes my needs and desires into account and just makes me so happy!

We decided (well more so I decided) this would become an annual event, perhaps even adding on a race in the spring!







No comments: