Thursday, May 19, 2011

Knitted Baby Blanket

Earlier this year I knitted and sewed together a baby sweater. As mentioned in that post, I have been knitting since 1988, and in all that time the main thing I have made is dishcloths. I've knitted a few scarves here and there, but nothing very fancy or challenging.

After finishing the baby sweater I started looking online for more knitting patterns and thought I'd look for a baby blanket. I chose a baby blanket because it seemed doable. I'd love to knit an afghan or "adult blanket" but I think that would take forever! I figured a baby blanket wouldn't take too much time to knit.

In my searching I came across a "feather and fan" pattern that I thought was so pretty. Feather and fan is a lace knitting pattern that makes a scalloped edge and rows of lacy fans. The pattern is pretty simple and is made up of four rows:
 
          Row one: knit
          Row two: purl
          Row three: knit two together three times, yarn over six times, knit two
          together three times, and repeat to the end of the row.          
          Row four: knit

          Repeat all four rows until you reach the desired size of the blanket.

There are several variations to the pattern, but the above four steps are what make the feather and fan detail. I started this blanket mid-February and finished it on May 15. I worked on it off and on, mainly while watching TV at night. I'd like to give this as a gift, so one of my friends needs to hurry up and have a baby girl! (I'm still planning on at least another year before I need one for myself!) :)

I already have my next baby blanket pattern picked out and am really excited to start working on it!



No comments: