Friday, July 29, 2011

Go West Young Woman!

I will be a traveling girl starting this Saturday! I'm leaving Saturday morning to spend a week in Phoenix, AZ, for General Council. I work for the Assemblies of God National Office, and every other year they have what's called General Council. This is a week-long event consisting of business sessions, luncheons, evening services, Fine Arts festival for the youth, Kids Council, vendors in the exhibit hall, and lots of other miscellaneous activities. In my nearly seven years of working for the AG I have attended three General Councils:  Denver, CO in 2005, Indianapolis, IN in 2007, Orlando, FL in 2009. I will be busy working in the U.S. Missions booth handing out our giveaway items and basically just talking to people all day. Friday I'll be working at our luncheon where 1,000 people will be in attendance. I'll help set the tables with our giveaway items and centerpieces. When everything is done Friday afternoon at 3pm I'll help tear it down and box it up to ship home.

My trip will be for work, but I've also found a way to make a little vacation out of it, too! When I land in Phoenix, I'll rent a car and drive west to Silver City, NM, to visit my Aunt Cheryl (my dad's sister). It's been quite a few years since I've seen her and I've never been to her place. I am very excited for this trip! It's about a five-hour drive from Phoenix, so that part will be a little long, and I'll need to be in Phoenix Monday morning, so will drive back Sunday afternoon. This will be a very quick trip, but very much worth it.

And my family visits don't stop there! My Great Aunt Blanche (my mom's, mom's sister) lives in Glendale, AZ, which is right in the Phoenix area. I emailed her asking if she'd like company one night and I think she was more than thrilled about this! We plan to meet up Wednesday evening for dinner and visiting.

I'll finally get to head home on Saturday, August 6. Unfortunately, my flight leaves at 4pm and arrives in Springfield at 11:45pm. Yuck! Oh well. At least I can sleep in on Saturday and lounge by the pool for a while before flying home!

1 comment:

Ross said...

I miss you a lot and I can't wait for you to get home!