Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sewing!

Yesterday I sewed my very first shirt, and if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty good! I've known how to sew since I was a little girl. My mom taught me and I'd sew potholders, pillows, and miscellaneous things. Last fall I decided I wanted to sew curtains for our family room and my mom gave me my Gramma's old sewing machine so I could work on the curtains at home. Everything I have sewed has just been "straight sewing," as I like to call it. Straight sewing meaning nothing complicated - basically just sewing a straight (well kind of straight :) hem and the project was done.

This year one of the goals I made for myself was to sew a shirt, or something much more involved than just sewing a hem. A few weeks ago Hobby Lobby had McCall's patterns on sale for $.99 each, so I decided it was time to start my sewing project. I thought a shirt would be a good place to start and found a pattern that seemed fairly easy, bought the material, and started sewing!

I do have to say, I was a bit intimidated once I got the pattern out and looked at it. I had no idea what all the lines, triangles, circles, etc., were on the pattern. I did a lot of research online watching sewing tutorials and asked a few people some questions and started to work.

All in all, the shirt really wasn't that hard to make ... even though I had to buy more material for the front side of the shirt. The shoulder area has pleats that just confused me. It wasn't until I sewed the fourth and final pleat that I realized I had sewed the first three incorrectly! I tried ripping out the stitching, but ended up ripping a few little holes in the shirt instead. Thankfully, JoAnn's Fabric Store is close to my house and they still had my material. :)

I am so proud of this shirt! I know it would definitely NOT win any sewing awards, but I'm very proud of it anyway. Ross said he would have thought I bought it and my Dad said it doesn't look homemade! Quite the compliments! I would like to continue sewing and eventually work up to something a little more challenging. For now, though, I'll stick with another shirt or maybe a skirt.

Getting everything ready to go.

The patterns for the front and back of the shirt.

Front and back cut out.

The back is hemmed.

The front and pleats on the shoulder.

The finished product!

1 comment:

Christina said...

WOW!! :) Well done friend!! :) That looks perfect!! :):) I am so impressed!! I will look forward to seeing many more sewing projects!!!