Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Do Like Pictures, But Not All Pictures

A few weeks ago we traveled to Wishek, North Dakota for Ross' Gramma's funeral. We drove and it was a pretty easy, uneventful trip. We didn't get into any accidents and didn't get pulled over by any policeman, either. Ross and I took turns driving, although he did drive about 21 of the 26 total driving hours. :)

Both of us are pretty good at following the posted speed limit. We do go a few mph over the speed limit, but are quick to slow down (haha, that sounds kind of funny...QUICK to SLOW down!) when the speed limit decreases. Well, last weekend, two weeks after our trip, we learned though a letter sent in the mail that I'm just not quick enough. Here's what the letter said:


I don't know how well you can make out the picture above, but it's a speeding ticket that was mailed to us. Yes, you are remembering correctly:  we had an uneventful trip with no accidents and we didn't get pulled over at all. No, this speeding ticket was not the result of being pulled over by a policeman. Instead it was the result of being captured on film by a speed camera. Ugh! I was clocked going 70mph in a 55mph, which apparently is equivalent to $168 in Sioux City, Iowa.

I think it took Ross and I a few minutes to figure out what this letter was about. We have never seen anything like this before, so it was quite a shock. The ticket is very descriptive, with clear pictures of our car, license plate, car information, date, and time the infraction occurred. We realized there would be no refuting it. It was definitely our Ford Fusion. We were caught speeding at 9:44am on January 16, 2012. Or, I guess I should say I was caught speeding at 9:44am on January 16, 2012. Double ugh!

I vaguely remember that section of road and seeing warning signs about being monitored by speed cameras. Like I said, we're both good about slowing down when the speed limit changes, so I have a feeling that I just didn't see the 55mph speed limit sign and didn't know I needed to slow down.

So Sioux City, I hope you make good use out of the $168 I dropped in the mail to you today. Maybe you could use it to clean up your city. It seemed a bit dirty and dumpy.

No comments: