Saturday, February 25, 2012

Disconnected

Ross and I got new cell phones last week. I have been on my parent's plan for two years now and Ross has been on his own. My parents decided to switch from AT&T to Verizon for better coverage and asked if I wanted to continue with them and if Ross wanted to join, too. We crunched the numbers and found that going on their plan would be a better option than staying on our own plans. They have a corporate plan set up through my dad's business which allows for extra discounts and equals more savings for us.

My dad called me last Wednesday morning to tell me our new phones were in and that Verizon would start the process of switching everything over for us. He said he'd get back to me later in the day with a status update on that process. I never heard back from him, so figured I'd just talk to him later that evening.

Ross and I made plans to meet at the bank after work to make the final payment on my car (yey for us!!!) and then go to the Verizon store to pick up our phones. We decided this through email during the day and I'm so glad that we did this so we at least knew where to meet. I say this because as I left work that day, I tried calling my dad to see what was going on with our phones. I hit his number and automatically got a "Call Failed" message on my phone. I tried a couple more times and got the same message. I thought maybe something was wrong with my dad's phone, so tried calling Ross. I got the same "Call Failed" message. I was a bit confused at this and wondered what was going on. It dawned on me that our old phones had already been disconnected and our new phones turned on. This really bothered me because that meant I was completely disconnected! At that moment I had no way of getting a hold of anyone. I couldn't call Ross. I couldn't call my dad. I couldn't call 9-1-1 if I were to get in an accident. And I couldn't even go home to call anyone because we don't have a land line phone anymore at our house! It seriously was like a little moment of panic for me!

I laughed at myself when I thought this through. I thought it was really silly of me to get so worried about being disconnected and then I thought about how completely dependent upon technology we've become! It's hard to imagine life without cell phones and being able to connect to anyone at anytime in any place.

No comments: