Monday, February 6, 2012

Grammar

I saw an article posted on a friend's Facebook wall titled "20 Common Grammar Mistakes That (Almost) Everyone Makes." I was intrigued by the title, so decided to take a look. I was glad I did because I learned a lot. For example, did you know...

  • Contrary to common misuse, “moot” doesn’t imply something is superfluous. It means a subject is disputable or open to discussion. e.g., The idea that commercial zoning should be allowed in the residential neighborhood was a moot point for the council. (Taken from the article mentioned above.)
  • “Since” refers to time. “Because” refers to causation. e.g., Since I quit drinking I’ve married and had two children. e.g., Because I quit drinking I no longer wake up in my own vomit. (Taken from the article mentioned above.)
  • Unless you’re frightened of them, you shouldn’t say you’re “anxious to see your friends.” You’re actually “eager,” or "excited." To be “anxious” implies a looming fear, dread or anxiety. It doesn’t mean you’re looking forward to something.
Now I don't claim to be a grammar expert, and I'm sure you can tell by my blog postings that I am not a quality writer, but I do pride myself in knowing a few grammar rules. I credit this ingrained knowledge to Ms. Herring, my wonderful junior and senior English teacher. Here's just a few rules that I will never forget:

  • A lot is TWO separate words! It is not spell alot, but rather a, space, lot.
  • You're and your - you're is a contraction, short for the two words you and are. Your shows posesssion. It is not "I'm talking to you're sister and she said your going to the game," but rather "I'm talking to your sister and she said you're going to the game."
  • To, too, two - these are three different words with three different meanings. To is a preposition, too means also, and two is a number. It's not "I have too tickets that I will give two her, to," but rather "I have two tickets that I will give to her, too."
In the words of Ms. Herring, "use it right, people!"

No comments: