Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Got A Mailbox?

Last Thursday night there was quite the commotion on our quiet little cul-de-sac that resulted in our mailbox being demolished.

Around 9:30 that evening I had a knock on my door. I was a bit scared to open the door, not knowing who would be coming by that late and I was home alone. The scared feeling quickly turned to confussion when I opened the door to find a police officer at my door and an ambulance and fire truck in the cul-de-sac, both with their lights flashing.

The police officer explained that the car in the driveway next to our house rolled down the driveway and hit our brick-encased mailbox, demolishing it. It took me a few minutes to understand what she was saying and when I saw the mailbox I just started laughing. It was just the funniest thing to me! The bricks that once composed our mailbox were laying in a pile in the yard.

The ambulance came to the scene because our neighbor lady, all by herself, tried to stop the car from rolling back. I'm not quite sure how she tried to stop it or why she thought she could, but she ended up going to the ER and came home with bruised ribs.

It's been a week now and our mailbox has still not been fixed so we have to pick up our mail at the Battlefield post office which is about 5 miles away from our house. Hopefully it will get fixed early next week.

I'd have to say, though, the most comical thing about this whole event is that this is the SECOND time our mailbox has been destroyed! Ross said a couple of years ago the same neighbors backed into the mailbox and smashed it. Too funny!

No comments: