Sunday, April 29, 2012

Half Marathon #9

On Saturday, April 14, I completed my 9th half marathon (13.1 miles). I thoroughly enjoyed this race and was quite pleased with myself when it was over! I finished in 2:18. My plan from the beginning of my training was to get a PR (personal record) on this race, which would have required me to finish with a time under 2:12. A few weeks before the race I ran some of the course and when I realized how hilly it was, I decided it probably wouldn't be a PR race. I am proud of my time and proud of the fact that I ran the whole thing. I didn't stop to walk which is something I've gotten into a bad habit of doing in my past races.

It was the Rock the Parkway Half Marathon in Kansas City and the course was along Ward Parkway. It was very scenic, with lots of big, old, beautiful houses to look at along the way. There were people lined up along the majority of the course cheering the runners on. The cheering is always so encouraging me, especially when I hear someone call out my name. (The race bib numbers usually have your name printed on them and it's so much fun to hear someone call out my name to cheer me on.)

Since the race was in Kansas City, we went up Friday night and stayed with Ross' parents. His mom made us a wonderful dinner of fettuccine alfredo and chicken piccata, and then we had a fun time playing the game Outburst together. Ross, the wonderful husband that he is, got up with me at 6:45am that Saturday morning and drove me to the race starting line. He waited with me until the race started, went back to his parents house, and then came back to the race around the time I finished.

All in all it was a very good race and I would definitely do it again. Now I'm going to keep running during the week and enjoy sleeping in on Saturday mornings! I haven't slept in on a Saturday morning since February! My plan for the fall is to possibly run the Omaha, NE, half marathon in September and the Bass Pro half marathon in Springfield, MO, in November.



Lining up before the race. There were about 4,500 runners!
Professional picture taken during the race, just before crossing the finish line. I'm waving to Ross!

Crossing the finish line!

Ross and me after the race.

My medal is very cool and I felt oh so cool with the "blanket" to help me stay warm.

Another 13.1 down!

No comments: