Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May Day!

Today is May 1st, which means it's May Day! 

Growing up, May 1st meant it was time to put together May Day baskets. My Mom helped us make the baskets out of construction paper or sometimes we covered old, plastic containers with wrapping paper to make our baskets. We would cut a hole in each side, and tie yarn through the holes to make a handle for the basket. We would place flowers, cookies, and candies in the baskets and take them to our neighbor's house. Once there, we would place the basket on the doorstep, ring the doorbell, and run away!

I also remember being in fifth or sixth grade and wrapping streamers around a May Pole as the "entertainment" for a PTA meeting. In fact, I think I played the piano as the rest of my classmates sang a song and decorated the May Pole. 

I don't really know where or why these tradition started, but I think they are fun and have fond memories of them. I hope to carry on the May Day baskets tradition with my kids someday!

No comments: