Monday, May 7, 2012

I Have Become My Mother - Part 2

Last January I wrote a post about using rubber dish washing gloves, like my mother. She used those gloves when we were growing up and I hated them, even though I never used them. They were ugly and smelled. Well, last year I discovered that the gloves aren't so bad and have been using them ever since.

My mom always planted marigold flowers in her flowerbeds and I never liked them. They just didn't seem like that pretty of a flower to me, but every year we could count on seeing the gold and yellow marigolds in the flower beds. My sister and I have made fun of my mom about this for the past few years, although I don't know if Stephanie disliked the marigolds as much as I did. In fact, I think Stephanie even planted some marigolds for herself last year.

This past weekend, I made my annual trip the the greenhouse to buy flowers for my flower pots. I perused all of the flowers, picking up petunias and impatients (of which are amazing flowers:  don't water them for five days in the middle of the summer, water them on the sixth day and they come right back to life!) and walked right past, rather snubbed, the marigolds. I did a mental inventory of the flowers I had in hand and the flower pots at home I had to dress up, and realized I needed more flowers. I walked around the greenhouse again and for some reason - that will probably end up being one of those top ten questions I ask God about someday - I ended up by the marigolds. And, not only did I walk back to the marigolds, but I picked some up and put them in my box - my "to purchase" box! I was laughing to myself as I was doing this, remembering all the times I've made fun of my mom for planting marigolds. I still don't know what made me plant marigolds this year.

I guess I have become my mother......


No comments: