Friday, July 10, 2015

Parenting Fail Part 2

I've written about a Mommy Fail and a Parenting Fail before and now I have another Parenting Fail to write about. This one is actually funny, but so sad as far as Lucy is concerned.

Lucy loves to watch Daniel Tiger shows on the PBS channel. Daniel Tiger is "an American-Canadian animated children's television series produced by The Fred Rogers Company, 9 Story Media Group and Out of the Blue Enterprises. It debuted on most PBS stations on September 3, 2012. The program, which is targeted at preschool-aged children, is based on the Neighborhood of Make-Believe from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, the long-running children's television series created and hosted by Fred Rogers."

Lucy usually watches Daniel Tiger in the morning while eating breakfast or getting ready to go for the day. She's really enjoyed it and knows all the characters and even some of the episodes very well. She likes to pretend play like Daniel does. It's a great "teaching" show and each episode has a lesson so I don't mind her watching it. The show has a red trolley that takes everyone around the neighborhood and Lucy really likes the trolley. She even has her own toy trolley and a plush Daniel Tiger doll to play with.

One morning we needed to head out the door to the gym and I was having trouble getting Lucy to the van. She was just not cooperating so I had the great idea, so I thought at the time, to pretend like our van was the trolley from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. I figured for sure that would get her excited to leave. 

So I told her that we needed to go get in the trolley so it could take us to the gym. Ross was still home and he heard me say this and played along, too. I didn't realize at the time how literal two-year-olds are! As I carried her out to the van and put her into her seat, all the while talking about getting in the trolley, she started crying and tried to look out to the street for the trolley. It was then that I realized her little two-year-old brain believed that we would be getting on the actual trolley from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.

Oh I felt so bad about this! I never thought that she would think the real trolley was coming for us! I felt so bad about this that I let her watch a DVD in the van for the five-minute car ride to the gym. We only let her watch a DVD in the van when we're going on a long trip, which isn't very often, so I hoped that this would make up for my trolley mistake.

Ross and I felt so bad about this, but we had (and continue to have) a good laugh about her sweet innocence and belief that we would be riding the trolley. I love the age she is at right now, but from now on, I will think twice about the things I tell her making sure she understands it's make believe and not real!

No comments: