Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Time Capsule and Memories

When I was in second grade, my school buried a time capsule to be opened in 30 years, 2017. Every class from elementary to high school (I'm from a small town and the elementary, jr. high, and high school are all connected) wrote an essay saying what we thought we would be doing in 30 years to be included in the time capsule. They also asked area businesses to put in items, as well.

I remember this project so well, and even remember writing my essay and what some of my classmates wrote in theirs, too. I've thought about the time capsule over the years but could never remember when it was to be opened. I was excited to read a post on my high school's Facebook page saying that it would be opened on May 5 and would have a ceremony for it and also bury another 30-year time capsule.

I went to the ceremony with my girls and my best friend from high school and thoroughly enjoyed myself! I saw a few former classmates and also a few teachers, including the teacher I had in second grade. Her husband was the high school history teacher and it was his idea for the time capsule. It was fun to see them!

I got to read my essay, along with a note I wrote to Santa Claus that year, and saw an awards sheet from my class. I received several awards, and remember that very vividly. I also read my sister's essay and saw the items that my Dad put in from the pharmacy. Unfortunately, several of the items had water damage and had an awful smell, too! But, it was such a neat thing to be a part of and I'm so glad I got to participate.

On another note, before the ceremony I had lunch at my best friend's (from high school) house. She lives in Ash Grove and has two little boys, a little older than my girls. Tysha and I were best friends from about third grade on. So many of my childhood and school memories include her. We played sports together all throughout school and spent countless hours together. I laughed to myself as we backed out of her driveway before leaving for the ceremony at the high school. I backed out in my gray Honda Odyssey minivan with two kids in tow and followed her in her gray Honda Odyssey minivan with two kids and a baby on the way in tow. It brought back tons and tons of memories of all the times we'd drive somewhere together or we'd pull out of my driveway or the school parking lot following each other to wherever we were going. Fun, fun memories!


My sister's letter.






Items from the pharmacy.



No comments: