Friday, March 9, 2012

My First Knitted Hat

I recently came across a pattern for a knitted baby hat and decided to try it. This was a big deal to me because the hat is knitted on four double pointed needles and I had no experience knitting with four double pointed needles. I've wanted to knit a hat for a while, but was kind of afraid to because I didn't now how. Well, the cuteness of this pattern got the best of me and I decided to give it a try! 

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to knit in the round with four double pointed needles and found that it didn't seem to be that hard. I gave it a try and I am so glad I did. It ended up not being that hard, just a little awkward getting used to having so many needles in a small space. The hat didn't take very long to knit up and the pattern was quite easy.

I love this little hat! I think it is so cute and plan to make more. In fact, I'd like to make one to match this baby blanket I knitted and give it as a set to an expecting mom. I have also thought about giving these baby knitting projects away to the Pregnancy Care Center, or some place like that.  

The pattern for my hat is below, along with pictures of my finished product (excuse the lighting, it wasn't very good when I took the picture). Click on "knitted baby hat" in the first paragraph above to go to the blog posting listing this pattern and others similar to the hat I made. 

Pattern:
CO 72 sts and distribute to dpns. Join, being careful not to twist.
Work k2, p2 ribbing for 6 rnds.

Eyelet Version:
Rnds 1-3: knit.
Rnd 4: *k1, k2tog, yo, k3*; rep between *s around.
Rnds 5-7: knit.
Rnd 8: *k4, k2tog, yo*; rep between *s around.
Rep Rnds 1-8 twice more.

Continue to Crown Shaping below.

Crown Shaping (Eyelet, Heart and Diamond Versions):
Rnd 1 and all odd rnds: knit.
Rnd 2: *k4, k2tog*; rep between *s around - 60 sts.
Rnd 4: *k3, k2tog*; rep between *s around - 48 sts.
Rnd 6: *k2, k2tog*; rep between *s around - 36 sts.
Rnd 8: *k1, k2tog*; rep between *s around - 24 sts.
Rnd 10: k2tog around - 12 sts.
Knit one more rnd even.
Cut tail and thread through remaining loops. Pull tight and tie off. Weave in ends.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice job! Cute little cap! Aunt Linda