Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Have Become My Mother

Sunday I did something I thought I would never do. Never do. I mean never, as in not ever do.

I bought a pair of rubber dish washing gloves. And in so doing, I became my mother. You can start calling me Wanda instead of Libby anytime now.

When we were growing up, and even still today, my mother would use rubber gloves when washing the dishes. I never really asked her why she used them, but every time she did the dishes she would have her yellow gloves on. I wore the gloves a few times when I did the dishes, but hated them. They were too tight and they smelled. I'm very sensitive to smells and the smell left on my hands after wearing the gloves was just unbearable to me.

I've found myself doing a lot of baking lately. All of my baking has left me with lots of dishes to wash, and it's just easier to quickly wash them instead of putting them in the dishwasher. I've noticed my hands itching a lot lately, and determined this is a direct result of hand washing so many dishes in HOT water.

When I was at my parent's house for Christmas I helped my mom clean up the kitchen. She washed the dishes and I dried them. And again, she had on her purple (such a nice change from yellow) rubber gloves while washing. I noticed this and started thinking that it just might be a good idea for me to invest in a pair.

So I did. And I have to say, they weren't that bad and my hands didn't smell as bad as I remembered them smelling when I was little. They're not my favorite thing to wear, but if it keeps my hands from being dry and itchy, then it's worth it!




No comments: