Sunday, January 17, 2016

Heritage Gifts

For the past several years my Mom has given my sister and I what I like to call "heritage gifts" at Christmas. These are gifts that came from her house and were either used by her, a relative before her, or something Stephanie and I used when we were growing up. I'll admit, sometimes I'm not so happy to receive these gifts. :) Some of the things are miscellaneous items from my childhood that I really don't know what to do with. She doesn't want to throw them away, so she gives them to us. I understand her not wanting to throw them away because I kind of don't want to either, but don't know what to do with them now.

However, the gifts I received this Christmas will definitely not be thrown away! She gave my sister and I her "Merry Christmas" and "Seasons Greetings" Christmas glasses that we used while growing up. We both loved these glasses so much! If I remember right, my parents got the glasses at Sears for signing up for a credit card or something like that, probably over 35+ years ago now. There are four Merry Christmas and four Seasons Greetings glasses and we both loved them. We would often argue about who would get them some day. My sister and I have been lucky enough to find a random glass like this at thrift stores and have gotten them for each other. My Mom split up the glasses this Christmas and gave two Merry Christmas and two Seasons Greetings glasses to each of us. I thought that was very smart of her to split them up. She put them in a very nice decorative box and even gave us the plastic bag the glasses came in all those years ago. I love this gift!

She also gave each of us a very pretty Christmas tree candy dish that was perhaps my Gramma Peterson's? Maybe they were just my Mom's, I don't know, but I always enjoyed getting them out each Christmas because they are so pretty.

Along with the glasses and candy dish came two green champagne glasses my Mom has had at home and some very nice towels from my Gramma Peterson. I loved all of these items and will cherish them and all the memories they hold forever.








No comments: