Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Names

I am horrible at remembering names. If I meet someone new and hear the name, it's as if the name literally goes in one ear and out the other. I just cannot remember it. This is something that I really want to work on, being able to remember names. There are a few girls who have been coming to my Monday night aerobics class for quite a while now and I'm so ashamed to say that I don't know their names! I'm sure they told me their names when they first came to class, but I can't remember. And now that it's been months that they've been coming, I'm too embarrassed to ask their names!


A few weeks ago at a work conference, one lady kept calling me Lisa. She knew my name was Libby - I was introduced to her and I had a name badge on that said Libby. Not Lisa, Libby. I and another lady she was with corrected her when she did call me Lisa, but she continued to call me by the wrong name! For some reason this really bothered me ... but then I remembered my own inability to remember names and felt a bit convicted.

I have thought about the two instances above for a while now, trying to figure out which one is worse. Is it worse to not know someone's name when you've been around them for a time, or is it worse to call someone by the wrong name? What do you think? I still haven't decided yet.

No comments: