Friday, August 19, 2011

Three Generations

During my recent trip to Phoenix, AZ, I not only visited my Aunt Cheryl, but also visited my Great Aunt Blanche! Aunt Blanche is my mom's mom's sister, and the only living relative from my Gramma's generation. She lives in Glendale, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix. I can't remember when the last time was that I saw Aunt Blanche. I'm sure I was just a little girl then, maybe even still in elementary school.

Over the past year I have been keeping in touch with Aunt Blanche via email, and she keeps up with me by reading my blog. Hi Aunt Blanche :)

I emailed her about getting together for dinner while I was in Phoenix, and she was thrilled about this! She arranged for one of her friends to pick me up from my hotel and take us to dinner. Our plans were set for Wednesday, August 3, 5:30pm, but little did she know I had a surprise for her:  My Mom would be joining us, too!

My Mom knew of my plans to meet Aunt Blanche and my Dad suggested that she fly to Phoenix to visit with Aunt Blanche, too. At first, Mom said NO! She was nervous to fly, especially since she would be flying alone and not with my Dad. But, after several conversations and much deliberation, she finally decided to go! They booked her flight, leaving Springfield around 9am Wednesday morning, and returning around 7:30pm Friday evening. Her hotel room was taken care of - she stayed with me! 

It was so much fun walking outside and seeing Aunt Blanche sitting in her car waiting for me! We saw each other and waved, and then she saw my Mom! Aunt Blanche has such a look of surprise on her face! It was great! What makes it even better is that Aunt Blanche had emailed Mom just a few days earlier saying she wished she (Mom) would have been able to stow away on the plane with me and visit, too!

We had a nice visit at dinner and got back to the hotel around 9pm that evening. Mom made plans to take a taxi to Aunt Blanche's on Thursday and they would spend the day together. Mom left the hotel around 9:30am and didn't get back until 8:30pm! They has such a good time visiting together!


Wanda Ward, Aunt Blanche Richards, Libby Wiseman

Aunt Blanche and Me

No comments: